Saturday, January 4, 2014

Not from Nothing

This blog may well be a cathartic way of rationalizing my thoughts. It may also be a way of ensuring that I drive myself to achieve any goals that I am able to set for myself. There is, however, more of a drive for me to get back to what I would consider fit. Interestingly just like time, fitness is all relative. If you were to see me today you would consider me to be a generally fit individual. I can run a 10k on any given day I have raced triathlons and 1/2 Ironman events. I have taken part in 24hr mountain bike events in the middle of winter, been wild swimming and cycle hundreds of road and trail miles. But that was in a previous life. That was before everything changed around me. Before my focus was pulled from living to working really hard to earn a living. Before my drive was shifted from my personal goals to ensuring that I was providing for my family. I had always been active growing up. My father is a keen hill walker and from as long as I can remember he would take the whole family away at weekends. Wales, the Peak District, the Lakes and later on up into Scotland to the wilds of the Munros. I started mountain biking at school with friends, spent a little time at the swimming club but to be honest it was a real flying visit. I much preferred swimming in the early mornings with my dad. I would mountain bike as much as I could but then I got the opportunity to try rowing. I joined Nithsdale ARC which was my first step into real sport. I have to say at this stage that I was never really any good but I did love it and near the end of my time with the club I did managed to win a race or two. But never during any point did I consider myself fit or strong. It was only during my work life that I found a sport that I felt that I could be good at.


No comments:

Post a Comment